Tired of clutching outdated, old looking handbags? Do you wish to make the right fashion statement? Then you need to change the type of bags you carry and how you wear them. In the hassle and stress of today, ladies are no longer interested in carrying cumbersome bags but want something practical and stylish hence the reason why so many are in love with crossbody bags.
Asides the fact that they come in a variety of sizes, colors, and shapes, they are also lovely and are entirely hands-free and will not slip off your shoulder while walking. However, the real problem often faced by ladies is how to wear their crossbody bags without giving off the same look every time.
As simple as this sound, it can be a bit tricky as you don’t want to wear it the same way every time you step out. Hence it is essential to know How to Wear a Crossbody Bag to look chic and classy while at the same time looking unbothered and straightforward. Having considered that wearing a crossbody bag can be monotonous; this article was written to help women wear their crossbags the right way.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Crossbody Bag
Wearing a crossbody bag the right way starts with the proper selection of the crossbag itself, and this cannot be done if you do not know the factors to consider. However, knowing the factors to look out for may seem a bit confusing, bearing that in mind I did some research and came up with four key factors to consider when buying a cross body bag. They include:
1. Size of the bag
This is an essential factor to consider as it helps you choose the right kind of crossbody bag. If you intend carrying only a few items like lipstick, keys, and other essential items, then a mini crossbag will do just fine. They are fun and can go with any outfit you wish to put on, be it trousers and a top, a mini dress, a skirt, and a top or a jumpsuit. If you will be carrying more items and wish to buy a crossbody bag that will fit with your clothes yet be able to contain all you want to take, then go for an oversized crossbody bag. Bigger doesn’t always mean drab, bigger can be better too, and in this case, the latter is indeed the case.
While considering the size, also think about the weight of the items to be put in the bag. To avoid hurting your shoulders prevent heavy weighed items as this tends to put pressure on your shoulder and back which causes pains and aches. This is not all; it also reduces the lifespan of the bag as it wears it out over time. So while you want to carry as much as possible in your bag, the best thing is to take only the essential items and nothing more, this way you get to flaunt the bag better.
2. The material of The Bag
Did I hear someone say crossbags are crossbags? No way! There are crossbags, and then there are crossbags! The quality of material used in making a crossbody bag determines the longevity of that bag. Nobody wants to waste money buying something that wouldn’t last for a long time, or that gets deformed and upbeat after a few uses.
If you must buy a crossbody bag, then go for top quality materials as this will ensure you enjoy your bag for many years to come. The best materials to consider are leather or waxed canvas. These bags are classic, durable, and yet beautiful. What’s more, they won’t deform with time but will only look better as the years go by.
While purchasing a crossbody bag, it is vital to select one whose color appeal to you else you may end up not wearing the bag. Whether you go for a leather bag or one made with fabrics and cotton, they all come in different variations of color and various forms. From subtle to bold, plain to pattern, light to dark, you will find them all.
While some colors may appeal to some people, it may not appeal to others. So, while buying a crossbody bag, it is best to go for what appeals most to you. Also, consider your wardrobe and go for bags whose colors compliment the clothes you have. Furthermore, consider if you like your bag to make a loud statement or if you want them subtle. In the end, your taste, style, and personal preference should guide you in making these choices.
There are other features that add beauty to a crossbody bag. Example of such includes the type of clasps used, the closure of the bag, bag handle, straps, and the kind of embellishment used. All these little details allow you to add your personal touch to your bag while also making it look classy and practical.
There are no set rules to how a crossbody bag should look like, the length, size, color and style can vary. So if you wish to wear your bag by your hips, or you want it higher up your waist, or even if you’re going to have it tucked under your arm, then the choice is yours. Most crossbody bags come with an adjustable strap that can shorten or elongate the bag as desired, which gives you the freedom to rock your bag any way you want it.
How to Wear a Crossbody Bag
Now that you are aware of things to look out for while shopping for a crossbody bag let’s take a look at how best to wear one.
- A bright bag should go with a dark outfit: This makes your bag stand out and is an excellent way to bring notice to the beautiful bag you are wearing. For instance, if you are putting on a navy blue dress, then you could go for a yellow crossbody bag. A bright bag over a dark outfit is a perfect combination for that chic, fun, cheerful, and casual look.
- To make the pattern of your top visible, wear a chain strap crossbody bag: if you wish to have a more dressy look without the strap of your bag covering your outfit, then a chain strap is what you should go for, it gives you a more serious and businesslike appearance.
- For a blended look, opt for a bag whose color is the same as your top: For those who wish to appear conservative and subtle, this option will work well. Wearing a crossbody bag with a top of the same color will ensure you don’t draw notice to yourself. So, for that business outing like a conference or a meeting, wearing a red bag over a red dress or a suit of the same color will help you achieve that business look you wish to portray.
- A patterned bag should go with a plain dress and vice versa: This works well for both casual and business outings. For instance, you could wear a patterned crossbody bag over a plain red coat while heading to the office or you could choose to pair a floral patterned crossbody bag with a plain black top while going to the movies with friends. This could also be reversed to create the same kind of look. A plain bag could be worn over a patterned outfit.
- You can wear your bag over a loose cloth for a sassy look: A crossbody bag worn over a loose dress or top gives you that sexy look that will have heads turning your way. The strap which sits across your chest makes an indentation across your chest; it also pulls your clothe closer to your body and accentuates your figure thereby giving others a peek at those sexy curves. This is made more apparent when the bag is worn over baggy clothing.
How to Position Your Crossbody Bag
There are different ways to wear a crossbody bag to make it appear fun every time you step out with it. So don’t be monotonous, check out any of these positions.
- For a trendy look, wear the crossbody bag at your waist level.
- Position your crossbody bag in front of you if you wish to move freely.
- For a more traditional look, place the bag just by your hips.
- For an unbothered or a leisurely stroll, place the bag at your back.
Appearing casual and fun or chic and classy isn’t such a big deal, sometimes all it takes is the right crossbody bag to go with your outfit. However, while this may sound like such fun, many are in a dilemma as to How to Wear a Crossbody Bag. Not anymore though, with the tips shared in this article I’m sure you are ready to go out there and rock those crossbody bags in a variety of ways that will have people admiring your sense of style.